Parents‎ > ‎


SEN Information Report

1 How does our academy know/identify that children have special educational needs (SEN)?

Staff at Severn View Primary Academy observe children learning and talk with their parents to get to know the children. When the children do not make expected progress in their learning or meet the expected goals (academically, physically, socially) and require extra support to address their own barriers to learning, we identify a child as having a special educational need. The progress of their learning is tracked by the class teacher and then discussed with the Senior leadership team (Principal and SENCo) during pupil progress meetings throughout the year.

2 What are the first steps our academy will make if special educational needs are identified?

The class teacher discusses the child’s barriers to learning with the parents and with support staff (TAs) in school to identify actions that can be put in place to help their learning both at school and at home.

3 What should parents/carers do if they think their child has SEN? How can they raise concerns?

In the first instance parents should speak to the class teacher about their concerns. If the class teacher is unable to suggest possible strategies to help at school and home, they will then speak with the SENCO. If you feel your child’s needs are not being met following this discussion, you can speak to the SENCo (Marie Harris).

4 How will our academy include parents and pupils in the planning of their support?

School holds conversations with parents of children with SEND 3 times a year. The conversations are a time where the parents, teacher and child have a time to talk through the needs of your child, your ambitions for them and the support that is in place. During this time, there is a discussion about what support is working to help the children move on academically or socially and what may need to be changed. All children (including those with SEND) have individual targets to work towards which are discussed on a regular basis in class.

5 How will our academy teach and support children with SEND?

The children with SEND are taught in the classroom with the whole class. They may have a combination of smaller group teaching, activities suited to their learning needs, support at less structured times (playtimes) which may include a planned game or activity.

If it is felt necessary, there may also be times when a child has a small amount of 1:1 support (e.g. reading practice) with an adult to help your child learn in a focussed way to enable him/her to make more progress. Should we not have the skills or training required to support your child with their specific need, we will get professional support from external agencies such as Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT), Occupational therapist (OT) or advisory teacher (ATS). The professional specialist will work with your child to understand their needs and may make recommendations.

6 Who will be working with your child?

The class teacher and a range of teaching assistants will be working with your child. There may be professionals from external agencies involved with your child and you will be informed of this.

7 How is additional support allocated to children?

If a child is not making the progress they are expected to, the class teacher adapts their activities and teaching style to suit the child. That support is evaluated and if the child continues to need further adaptations, the class teacher and SENCO look at the resources available in school (equipment and TAs) and how their time can be used to work with the child for a period of time. The Principal, along with the SENCo, decides in the allocation of funding to support children within the school, following assessments of children’s needs in school.

8 What role will the child’s teacher play?

The child’s teacher is the main point of contact as they plan and deliver a curriculum to meet each child’s needs.

9 What expertise does our academy have in relation to SEND?

The SENCo is a SLE (specialist leader in education) relating to SEND and has many year’s experience of working with children with a range of SEND, including ASD, ADHD, learning difficulties, speech and language delay and disorders and social, emotional difficulties. We have a TA trained in supporting children with speech and language difficulties. All staff have had autism awareness training. Our outdoor learning teacher is highly experienced and trained in delivering support from children with social, emotional and mental health needs, with a particular focus on children with attachment difficulties. We have a TA who works individually and in small groups with chidren with particular social, emotional and mental health difficulties. All staff at Severn View aim to meet all children’s individual learning and behaviour needs.

10 Which other services do we use to support our pupils?

School has strong links with the school nursing service, speech and language therapists, the educational psychologist, advisory teachers for cognition and learning and for social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, advisory teacher for communication and interaction, the community paediatrician, social workers, occupational therapist, physiotherapist. We aim to access any service that could potentially benefit a child.

11 How does our academy provide support to improve the emotional and social developments of out SEND pupils?

All staff at Severn View take an individual approach to the learning and social/emotional needs of each child. The children are discussed between staff to ensure that all staff are aware of any difficulties a child may have and which strategies are working. All children are encouraged to speak to an adult in school whom they feel secure talking to. Quiet spaces and opportunities for a variety of group work are planned for.

12 What access do our SEND pupils have to facilities and extra-curricular activities?

Children with SEND are able to access our wonderful art teacher and outdoor learning teacher. There are opportunities to access cooking with our wonderful chef, Niko. There are opportunities throughout the year to have a local farming experience, pottery from a talented potter.

13 Who will be talking to and keeping in touch with the parent/carer?

The class teacher is the primary point of contact to keep in touch with the parent. There are times when a TA, SENCO , principal or other agency speaks with the parents, depending on the input from them.

14 How will our academy involve the pupil with SEND in their education?

All children at Severn View have regular opportunities to evaluate how well they are learning against their targets. We try to include the child as much as possible in understanding how well they are learning. Some children use a report card as a strategy to help children with behaviour difficulties to learn to control their own behaviour and report to the principal on a daily basis.

15 How do we assess and evaluate the provision we have arranged for your child?

The termly progress meetings between the class teacher and the principal evaluate the progress children with SEND have made compared against national targets. The SENCO and principal observe and monitor the support offered and discuss with the class teacher what has worked and what needs to be adapted. The class teacher has discussions with your child to gain their views about what provision has helped them learn.

16 How do we arrange transitions for SEND pupils into and out of our academy?

On site we have a nursery class for 2-3  and for 3-4 year olds which aids transition. Before children start nursery and school they are met in their previous nursery (if applicable) and have a home visit so that parents have opportunities to talk about any needs their child has. We arrange multi agency meetings with professionals for children who have their involvement. When children leave our academy, either at the end of Year 6 or before, we liaise with the school that the child is going to. This may be by telephone or with written communication.

17 Where can you find the SEND policy?

The SEND policy is available on the school website.

18 What role do governors have? What does our SEND governor do?

The SEND governor meets with the Principla at termly Governor meetings to monitor the progress of children and the provision offered to them. The SENCo provides a report for governors 3 times a year on the progress and attainment of the children. The governing body and SEND governor support and challenge the SENCo in their role.

19 What can you do if you are not happy?

In the first instance, you should speak to the child’s class teacher, then the SENCO (Marie Harris), then the principal (Claire Wirth), then the SEND governor (Steve Cottrell). If you are still not happy the SENCO can give you contact details for other agencies who may help and you can follow the complaints policy which is on the school website.

20 Who can you contact for more information?

The SENCO is responsible for coordinating the provision for children with SEND across the school. She is able to point you in the direction of other agencies if needed.

If you would like more information, please talk to your child’s teacher. You can also talk to other staff, including Mrs Harris, the school SENCo.


Updated December 2017

AET Send Policy

Gloucestershire Families Directory

Department for Education a guide for parents and carers

Special Educational Needs in Gloucestershire